At Sofa Biz we want to help you extend the life of your new furniture. We proudly represent Guardsman and their fabric protection service plans.
GUARDSMAN ELITE 5 YEAR FURNITURE PROTECTION PLAN SERVICE CONTRACT
This Five (5) Year Guardsman Elite Furniture Protection Plan (“Protection Plan”) is a service contract
between you (the original purchaser), the consumer, and The Valspar Corporation, through its Guardsman
business unit (“Guardsman”). 4999 36th Street. Grand Rapids, MI 49512, the administrator and a provider
of this service contract.
[ordered_list style=”decimal”]1. If a stain or damage listed in the “What Is Covered” section occurs during the term of this Protection Plan.
1. Guardsman agrees to provide Service (“Service”) as outlined in the “SERVICE PROCEDURES” section of this Protection Plan.
2. This Protection Plan is not a cleaning or maintenance contract, insurance policy, or your original
3. This Protection Plan is valid for a period of five years (“the Term”) from the delivery date of your
4. This plan covers new furniture up to a maximum $20,000 in retail value.
5. This plan is only valid for new furniture that was purchased at the same time as this Protection Plan,
and appears on the sales receipt as such.
6. This Protection Plan is non-transferable and not renewable.
7. You must retain this Protection Plan and the sales receipt for both the furniture and this Protection
WHAT IS COVERED:
This Protection Plan provides Service for any of the following, except for what is listed in the “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”
section of this Protection Plan:
Fabric, Leather, & Vinyl Upholstered Furniture:
1. Any food or beverage stain.
2. Any human or pet bodily fluid stains (except perspiration, hair and body oils).
3. Any ballpoint pen ink stain from a single incident.
4. Any nail polish/nail polish remover stain from a single incident.
5. Any puncture, cut, tear, and rip front a single incident.
6. Any burn from a single incident.
7. Frames, springs and the following mechanisms, if they were covered by an original manufacturer
warranty that has since expired: sleeper, reclining, inclining, hearing, and vibrating.
Wood and Other Hard Surface Furniture:
1. Any food or beverage stain.
2. Any nail polish/nail polish remover stain from a single incident.
3. Any liquid mark or ring.
5. Any scratch, gouge or chip from a single incident.
6. Any burn or heat mark from a single incident.
7. Checking, cracking, bubbling, or peeling of finish from a single incident.
8. Any chip, scratch or breakage of glass or mirrors.
9. Loss of silvering on mirrors.
REQUIREMENTS FOR REQUESTING SERVICE:
Failure to meet any of the following requirements can result in a denial of Service under this Protection Plan.
The furniture must have been delivered and installed soil-free and damage free from the store where it was
purchased. You must have performed all routine and preventative maintenance, as recommended by the
1. Any stain or damage must be reported to Guardsman within five (5) business days of the
date that the stain or damage occurred. Notify Guardsman by telephone: number is on your certificate or
by filing a Service Request at the website specified on your certificate.
2. If a spill occurs, simply blot with a clean, dry cloth. If you attempt to clean a spill, you must follow
the cleaning methods recommended by the furniture manufacturer, which is to include pre-testing
any product in a hidden area.
3. Complete and return the Service Request Form.
4. Provide Guardsman with a copy of the sales receipt and a copy of this Protection Plan within 30 days
after reporting your stain or damage.
There are many different leather types available. Please reference the chart below that identifies
which types of leather are eligible for Service under this Protection Plan. This Guardsman
Protection Plan does not cover leather that is non-colorfast.
Covered under this protection plan:
- Aniline Leather (Unfinished): Is leather that has been treated with an aniline
dye, but does not have other pigmented finishes applied. -Yes
- Semi-Aniline Leather: Is an aniline leather that has a thin laver of pigmented
coating that does nor fully seal the pores of the leather’s surface. -Yes
- Finished: Is an aniline leather that has a been treated with a surface
application to color, protect, or mask imperfections. -Yes
- Nubuck: Is a top grain aniline leather that has been build-to give a nap cam. -No
Pull-Up (Waxed): Is a full aniline leather that has an oil or wax surface. -Yes
- Exotic: Are any non-bovine hide or any hide embossed or heat stamped with
special feature such as alligator, crocodile or ostrich patterns, and basket
- Suede: Process of raising fibers on flesh-side of hide to give a nap effect by
If Guardsman determines that the reported stain or damage is covered under this Protection Plan.
Guardsman will perform one or more of the following.
• Guardsman may provide a cleaning kit or advice on how to remove the stain.
• Guardsman may dispatch an authorized technician to remove the stain or repair the damaged area.
• Guardsman may replace all or part of the affected area, the component, or piece of furniture. Dye
lots vary and furniture may fade over time, so replacements may not exactly match the color of
non-replaced areas. Replacement will terminate this Protection Plan on that area, component, or
piece of furniture.
• Guardsman may arrange a store credit at the Store in an amount equal to the original purchase
price of the affected piece of furniture (“Reselection”). Sectionals, dining chair groups, chair and
ottoman sets, or identical items with the same “SKU” number will be considered a single item for
purposes of Reselection. Your Reselection store credit is only valid for 60 days after notification by
Guardsman. Reselection will terminate this Protection Plan on that piece of furniture.
Guardsman may offer a settlement amount up to the original purchase price of the furniture. A settlement
will terminate this Protection Plan on that piece of furniture. If the particular store location where you
originally purchased your furniture (“Store”) has closed, no longer carries Guardsman as a supplier, changed
ownership, or has stopped selling new furniture since your purchase. Guardsman will give you a refund of
the original purchase price of this Protection Plan.
FABRIC CLEANING CODES:
Fabric Cleaning Codes on upholstered furniture can be the manufacturer’s ID tag. Always follow
manufacturer’s recommended cleaning methods, pre-test any product in a hidden area for
colorfastness of fabric. This Guardsman Protection Plan does not cover any type of fabric that is
Covered under this protection plan:
“W” or ” WS” Cleaning Code: Fabrics with this cleaning code can be spot
cleaned with a water-based cleaner. Yes
“S” or “WS” Cleaning Code: Fabrics with this cleaning code can be spot
cleaned using a solvent-based cleaner. Yes
“X” Cleaning Code: Fabrics with this cleaning code can only be vacuumed
and cannot be cleaned with any type of cleaner. No
WHAT IS NOT COVERED: This Protection Plan provides no service or benefit for any of the following
• Any stain or damage that is not specifically listed under the section titled “WHAT IS COVERED”.
• When the actions listed in the “REQUIREMENTS FOR SERVICE” have not been followed.
• Any accumulation of stains or damage, including stains, damage, or a soil build up that occurs from
repeated use rather than from a particular incident.
Ineligible Furniture & Components
• Furniture sold with stains or damage prior to delivery (“as is”).
• Ready To Assemble furniture (RTA).
• Customer’s Own Material (COM) items.
• Stains or damage to Nubuck, suede or exotic leathers.
• Stains or damage to split-grain leather hides used in seat cushions, back cushions, or arm areas.
• Stains or damage to “X” cleaning code fabrics and non-colorfast fabrics and leathers (fabric or
leather that loses color when cleaned according to the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions).
• Components integrated into furniture, including clock mechanisms, refrigerators, lighting or other
electrical components that are not included in the “WHAT IS COVERED” section.
• Wicker and Rattan furniture.
Improper Maintenance, Care or Misuse
• Stains or damage on furniture that has not been properly cared for or maintained, as per your
• Stains or damage resulting from the improper use or misuse of furniture, including the use of
furniture beyond the purpose for which it had been designed.
• Stains or damage caused by or resulting in mold or mildew.
• Stains or damage including color loss or color change, caused by cleaning methods other than those
recommended by the furniture manufacturer.
• Stains or damage caused by animals, except pet bodily fluid stains. However, repetitive bodily fluid
stains are considered preventable occurrences and will not be eligible for Service.
• Stains or damage caused by extensive intentional activities.
• Stains or damage due to extensive activities, including but not limited to cuts, rips, tears and ink,
paint, crayon, marker, or pencil damage.
• Furniture that shows signs of infestation, including but not limited to insects, termites, cockroaches,
Manufacturer Quality Issues
• Seam separation (an upholstery seam that comes unstitched or unglued), stress tear (tearing or
ripping of upholstery within one-half inch of and parallel to the seam line), or fabric flaws.
• Fading, color loss or color change.
• Loss of foam and/or innerspring resiliency (including body impressions).
• Cracking and peeling of leather or vinyl.
• Natural leather markings such as, but not limited to, scars, insect bites, brand marks, and wrinkles.
• Damage resulting from defects in materials or workmanship.
• Stains or damage that occurs during any delivery or installation process, or before the furniture is
delivered to your residence.
• Stains or damage that occurs while the furniture is not located within your residence.
• Stains or damage that occurs while the furniture is in storage, or being moved to or from storage,
or between residences.
• Furniture that is or has been, used for commercial, Institutional, or rental purposes, including
Wear & Tear Caused By Repeated Use (over time) Damage caused by wear such as, but not
limited to, the following:
• Scuffing or other surface abrasions.
• Pilling or fraying of’ fabric.
• Stains or damage covered under any manufacturer’s warranties, or under any homeowner’s,
renters, or other insurance policy.
• Stains or damage caused by structural problems, including but not limited to, skylights, roofs, or
• Stains or damage caused by appliance malfunctions, including but nor limited to, air conditioners
and water heaters.
• Stains or damage caused by fire, smoke, flood, or other natural disaster.
• Stains or damage caused by theft, vandalism, or as a result of any other illegal activity.
• Stains or damage caused by independent contractors such as, but not limited to, maintenance
personnel, painters, or other repair or contractor services.
OBLIGATIONS OF GUARDSMAN UNDER THIS SERVICE CONTRACT ARE BACKED ONLY BY THE FULL FAITH AND
CREDIT OF GUARDSMAN AND ARE NOT GUARANTEED UNDER A SERVICE CONTRACT REIMBURSEMENT
INSURANCE POLICY. NO EXPRESS WARRANTY OF FITNESS OR EXPRESS WARRANTY OF ANY OTHER NATURE
IS GRANTED HEREIN. NO ONE IS AUTHORIZED TO ASSUME FOR GUARDSMAN ANY LIABILITY IN CONNECTION
WITH THE SALE OF THIS PROTECTION PLAN. THE DURATION OF ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES IS LIMITED TO A
FIVE-YEAR PERIOD FROM THE DELIVERY DATE OF THE ORIGINAL FURNITURE. YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THIS
SERVICE CONTRACT ARE YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES FOR ANY FAILURE OF THIS PROTECTION PLAN TO
COMPLY WITH ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY. GUARDSMAN SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN EITHER TORT
OR CONTRACT FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE, WHETHER DIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL, ARISING
OUT OF ANY BREACH BY GUARDSMAN OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long any implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may
not apply to you. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential
damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This Service Contract gives you specific
legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. You have the right to return
this Protection Plan for a full refund of the purchase price within twenty (20) days after delivery of the
Protection Plan to you. If no Service has been provided under the Protection Plan, the Protection Plan is void
and the mailer from which the Protection Plan was purchased shall refund to the Protection Plan holder the
full purchase price of the Protection Plan minus a cancellation fee of the lesser of ten percent (10%) of the
Protection Plan price or Fifty and 00/100 Dollars ($50.00), whichever is less, except as otherwise required
by law. A ten percent (10%) penalty per month shall be added to any refund that is not paid within thirty
(30) days of the return of the Protection Plan to the retailer from which the Protection Plan was purchased.
The right to return the Protection Plan is non-transferable and applies only to the original Protection Plan